Sunday, May 22, 2011

"IF IT ISN'T MAKING DOLLARS THEN IT ISN'T MAKING SENSE..."

Ever since I can remember Matt has stored all his change in an old jar. After a few years it's been pretty beat up and dingy. Not only that, but wherever you put it it just never looks nice since it is what it is...an old, dirty jam jar. About once every six months he remembers about it and takes his coins down to Coinstar. It's like a pay-day because he always comes back to the car with a grin and a receipt and asks me how much I think he's earned. Well, after lugging the old coin jar back and forth between every apartment we've lived in, you can imagine how heavy and breakable this thing is and just how much I dislike it.

Yesterday Kelley and I turned a random corner and there was quite a large garage sale in a long driveway. The house was nicely manicured and it was an older home which was a good sign. There were many antiques and trinkets but I settled on a small gold art stand since I always buy them to display decorative picture frames on. It cost me a whoppin' $0.25 and then I went to go meet up with Kelley who was sifting through some antiques. All the sudden she found a treasure in the form of an old post office mail safe! It was perfection and we immediately knew that we had to buy it for Matt. I was beyond thrilled because finally he could save his change in something that was practical and easy on the eyes.
The inside is still functioning and none of its parts are missing. Someone built the antique safe into a wooden frame, but it has a coin slot on top to put coins through and you can turn the lever to open the safe. On the back there's a document of authenticity which states that this safe is from an Texan post office in 1870.
It was a very rare find and Matt and I have always been obsessed with old postal equipment. Now we have a new storage solution for Matt's change...and the best part is that it fits in perfectly with our home.