Wednesday, May 25, 2011

SNEAK PEEK: THE MOST PERFECT PICTURE FRAME IN EXISTENCE

Ok, so maybe I'm slightly exaggerating, and perhaps there is a better distressed frame somewhere in a parallel universe, but in my opinion I've taken the most perfect picture frame in existence off the market. My heart literally skipped a beat when I found this frame in a box amongst other lovely, but not perfect frames, at a garage sale organized by a woman who once owned an antique store. This frame screamed "Anthropologie!" to I had to take it home with me.
While working on Grant Street in San Francisco, I often walked by and drooled over Anthropologie's ever-changing window vignettes but the one that sticks out in my memory was comprised of empty vintage frames strung from the ceiling in multiple lengths. This was such a stunning and creative display that it continues to inspire me on many of my treasure hunts.

There is something so unexpected and wonderous about empty picture frames that stops you in your tracks whenever you see a collection. Your eye naturally expects to see some medium of artwork in a frame and so when all you find is emptiness, it is not disappointment that fills you but creativity. I have been collecting picture frames for many years now and yes, it has grown out of hand. Although to an outsider my collection would appear to be that of a hoarder's, I continue to defend my accumulation and know I'll be able to put it to good use someday. I have started hanging an array of frames on the main wall in our entry way, but it is still far from what I imagine it to be. My perfect picture frame is the centerpiece and now that I am finally finished with school I plan on jump-starting a few of my projects. This includes finishing my empty frame collage which I would love for the end result to resemble something similar to these arrangements:
via Sweet Home Style
via Emma Thompson
via Birdy Birdy Num Num
Granted, I still need many odd shaped and colorful art frames, but with the warm weather rolling in and people rolling up their garage doors, I'm bound to find all my supplies locally at garage sales and estate sales because they have yet to let me down.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

That is the perfect picture frame. I love your idea of decorating a wall with frames. Hope you find some good ones this weekend!