Wednesday, June 8, 2011

"We moved too fast, and tripped into the guest room."

Let's face it, I have "a thing" for guest bedrooms. I love the idea of going away somewhere and still feeling like you're at home which is why I am attempting to create an overnight oasis for our future guests. I say future guests because we won't be able to offer anyone a place to sleep in our spare bedroom until I get my act together and clean it. It's sad to admit, but I still have some boxes with decor items in the room from when we first moved in and a lot of other random things I've collected. I promised myself, and Matt, that today I will be cleaning this mess and prepping it so that I can start decorating it as soon as possible.

I will be re-using the bedding from our San Francisco apartment because I still love it after three years, which says a lot coming from me. Although at first I was tempted to buy something a little more contemporary, I've decided to save some money and work around what we already have. I will however need to purchase the following:

1) Headboard (perhaps a matching footboard as well)
2) Night-stands
3) Wall art (I'm most excited about this upcoming purchase)
4) Curtains/Sheers
5) Tie-backs
6) Accent pillows
7) New sheets

Here is what I already have for the guest room:
1) Bedding
2) Lamps
3) Curtain rod
4) small knick-knacks

The guest bedroom is extremely small, so I will have to measure to see whether or not we will be able to fit any other furniture in there besides the bed and night-stands. If it doesn't work out, our guests will still have access to their own closet to hang clothes and for other storage. It's going to take me the majority of the summer to finish this project because I have a very specific look in mind, but I know that it will all be worth it. To get in the mood for decorating my own guest bedroom, I've started to collect some inspiration photos. I'll be pulling concepts from each and post the final inspiration board as soon as I'm finished.
P.S. This first one is my favorite...
via Keep on the Sunny Side
via Darling Dexter
via The Design Notebook

No comments: