Tuesday, May 17, 2011

"TRACK HOME KITCHEN BEFORE AND AFTER...AND STILL IN PROGRESS"

Kitchens are probably my very least favorite to decorate. There are always too many variables to consider; countertop, appliances, backsplash, cabinets, counter-space, and so the list goes on. While we were house-hunting, I was never too particular about the size of the kitchen so long as it didn't have a tile, laminate or Corian countertop or oak cabinets. I'm extremely picky when it comes to decorating...not as picky when it comes to food. So after viewing about 30 homes with white tile countertops, linoleum flooring and cabinets in all colors of the rainbow, I was ready to just throw in the towel and be content with whatever kitchen we could settle on until we saved money for a remodel.

When we finally found the right home, I was pleased with the granite countertops and backsplash. Both had been recently updated and although the countertop color wouldn't have been my first choice it was still better than anything we had seen. Our cabinets are not what I would call "quality" cabinets, but after going back and forth between whether we should paint them or not I've decided to just wait it out to see if they grow on me. Seven months into it, they still haven't found their way into my heart for a variety of reasons. The maple wood is far too light for my taste which is completely unreasonable since my favorite cabinetry is white. But putting that aside, these cabinets are much too bright and yellow in contrast with the rest of the kitchen.
Photobucket
Since for now we won't be painting them, naturally we had to upgrade and customize them in some way to take the focus away from the wood itself. One trip to home depot later we had chosen some oil-rubbed bronze handles and two hours later Matt had them all installed.
Photobucket
Instantly the kitchen took on a new persona and I'm happy to admit that the first thing I look at in my kitchen is no longer the wood but the hardware. It's a perfect compliment to our furnishings and fixtures and until we can paint, I'll just have to learn to live with it. As much as I hate having to learn to live with things, I'm optimistic that perhaps this summer we will be able to make more progress in the kitchen department.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Your kitchen is so cute! Jealous you have gas oven range, aka my dream. I like the granite and back splash too. The hardware makes the cabinets look much better. Love!