Wednesday, May 18, 2011

"MY SUMMER WINE IS REALLY MADE FROM ALL THESE THINGS..."

Whether it's white wine, red wine or port wine, wine bottles must all have a place to call home. When we first moved in, our wine was stored just as any other wine is stored: in a cabinet. I quickly grew frustrated with this "storage solution" because every time I wanted a glass of wine I would have to take out each bottle until I found the one I wanted. Frustrating as it was, we did't have the counter-space for a mini wine fridge or even wall space for a hanging wine rack. Not to mention some of them are downright hideous and/or expensive and the wine racks that I did find never felt like a perfect fit for our kitchen. Matt is not a wine drinker, but I like to have my wine, at the very least, to be accessible.

After scouring the Internet for endless hours I had finally given up my hunt for "The One." I have a tendency to go on long-winded searches for what I call "The Ones," or in other words: that-one-perfect-piece-you-have-waited-for-all-your-life. This can apply to any home decor item and while I don't usually have a premeditated image of what I want, I know exactly when I find it. Yes, you know and feel when you find "The One" because you loose all sense of reason, don't look at price tags or care if practical. All you know is that you must buy this thing otherwise you will never be complete.

In my 25 years I've pursued many soul-mates in the form of an armchair, coffee table, upholstered bench, area rug etc. This time I was determined to find The One wine rack that I needed in order for life to go on. I finally came across it at Homegoods, which for those of you who are familiar with this store can agree is a synonym for Heaven. I spotted it out of the corner of my eye because of its unusual shape AND the fact that it was made out of what looked like bicycle chains. I gravitated towards it and realized that it WAS made of bike chains...recycled bike chains to be exact. And they were beautiful! Oiled, greased and aged to perfection in all the right places. It was made in France from old bicycle chains and now it would live on in my kitchen. Of course, I couldn't leave the store without it and when I brought it home Matt loved it just as much (he is an bicycle enthusiast). Score!
Now that I have found "The One" wine rack I can move on to other things; barstools, end tables, picture frames. And yes, this is only the beginning.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

LOVE this wine holder! It's perfect.