Wednesday, June 22, 2011

"Prague never lets you go..." - Franz Kafka

Well, it's finally official. We are going to Prague! Matt and I were both granted time off from work and our tickets have been purchased. I never feel like a vacation is set in stone until the ticket confirmation shows up in your inbox. It's a beautiful feeling, it really is.
The total flight time will be about 18 hours, but I've always loved airplanes...no fear of flying here. I keep myself busy by bringing a good book, listening to music, playing Scrabble, sleeping and watching movies and before I know it, we've landed and a new adventure begins.
Since I was a child, my family considered it very important that my sister and I be cultured and aware of our roots and history. We traveled to and from Europe as often as we could, but now that my sister and I are grown, it is becoming increasingly difficult to plan family vacations, especially internationally.

Matt and I explored various European countries on our backpacking trip three years ago, but somehow I've never made it to Prague. Many have told me that it is the most beautiful and romantic city in the world and I couldn't possibly be more excited. We will be spending one week in the Czech Republic and the second half of the trip will be spent in Poland. My oldest cousin is getting married and we will be partaking in the wedding festivities. Putting finances aside, European vacations are worth every last penny. The cityscapes and country landscapes are worth the flight cost alone and of course, time spent with my family and close friends is priceless. I have a feeling that I'll fall in love with Prague and as usual, heavily consider staying for good, but in the end, there will be too many ties with California that would have to be severed and with misty eyes, we both board the plane home. Here are some of the postcard-views we have to look forward to...
The motive behind this trip, besides my cousin's wedding, is a reunion with our dear friends, Mark and Tereza Long. We met almost three years ago online through my former job, and then met in person one year ago. We instantly connected and spent the next few days together while they were visiting the Bay Area. Not only are they a beautiful couple, I feel a deep connection to them that can only be attributed to fate. Over the past year we have been daydreaming about drinking beers in a pub, wandering the streets of Prague, treasure hunting at flea markets, sleeping in castles (a future post) and exploring their territory.
Tereza Long
Mark Long
Only seven weeks to go...perhaps I should design a special calendar to help us count down the days.

No comments: