Saturday, July 24, 2010

“STYROFOAM PLATES, CAFETERIA TABLES. CHARITY REEKS OF CHEAP WINE AND PITY.”

Photobucket

I stand by my claim that it's perfectly acceptable to eat spoonfuls (gobs)of Nutella. I'm spending the weekend at my parent's house because Matt is out of town and I've got a few refurbishing projects that I've been wanting to finish since Christmas. I'm also using my sisters junky, antique PC laptop to type this entry and am afraid that at any minute this will one way or another erase itself, as seems to be the case with anything I attempt to write on a PC. Oh, super swift Mac laptop, how I wish I hadn't accidentally left you at home. One of the reasons I'm most excited about being at home is my weekly Saturday trip to my favorite hole-in-the-wall thrift shop. I am a woman on a mission this weekend as a few weeks ago I found an abandoned plate tier, sans plates. My co-worker and I were making some tea upstairs in the kitchen and we looked over to find a beautiful, discarded plate tier standing next to the trash can. It seemed to be a remnant from a work event and I immediately claimed it as my own. As you can imagine, it was quite fun riding with it back home on the BART train but I didn't mind the inconvenience...I had a vision.

After taking some measurements, I am on the hunt for the perfect three vintage plates to complete this tier. The more colorful and ornate the better as I will be using this in the corner of my kitchen to display pastries, pies and even fruit in the summertime. I frequently find breathtaking antique plates in thrift stores however can't seem to nail down a concept for how to incorporate them into my decor. My mother has some beautiful pieces showcased in her breakfast room hutch and I'm tempted to do the same as soon as my hutch is finished. However, sometimes I find these plates almost too beautiful to hide behind glass, and wish there was a more functional purpose for them. I hope that the thrift store gods are on my side today and that I'll find the perfect new additions to my ever expanding platter collection.

No comments: