Wednesday, June 1, 2011

WORK IN PROGRESS: OFFICE DESK MAKEOVER

This may be a familiar view to many; the landscape of a boring, lifeless office desk. I have been feeling the creative itch lately and it all started at my workplace. Generally, I work behind a computer and as of recently I have been daydreaming about making over my work nook. I call this a nook because it's a corner desk with white walls, a computer and a UPS thermal label printer and scanner. These "decorative items" all came with the desk and the job and not only do they lack personality, they are monochromatic. Although I keep it clean and organized, I've always wanted my office desk to reek of femininity and color.

I've started to bring in fresh flowers as often as I can to brighten up my space, but today decided to tackle this project once and for all. I ended up spending a few minutes after work brainstorming and thinking about everything that I have stored away in our spare bedroom that I could use in the office. Over the years I've acquired quite a lot of decor in a variety of colors and styles. I was excited to utilize some of the remnants of my shabby chic collection and will be going with a blue and silver color palette, with a dash of hot pink and rose pink. I'm determined to not buy any new items and recycle everything I currently own, so in other words, my budget is $0.00. Unfortunately, there are a few things that will have to stay: Ikea corner desk, computer, UPS shipping supplies and more than likely, the biggest calendar in the entire world hung above my desk.

Ideally, I would be able to wallpaper my corner or paint it, but I'll just have to work with the white walls which shouldn't be too difficult. Left over from our Livermore apartment I have a few blue-ish frames with some artwork by Egon Schiele. While he suits my personal taste, I don't know how office friendly his work is mainly due to the fact that it's very grotesque and provocative. I will have to eventually switch it out with some light-hearted art and can't wait to spend many hours scouring my new find: Vintage Printable. What I love so much about this site is that you can download any of their vintage images for free and frame them. You can probably guess what I'll be doing for the rest of the evening while Matt watches Mythbusters.

Tomorrow I plan on heading over the hill to work an hour earlier to organize, rearrange and remodel my office desk. I've been waiting to do this for awhile but only now does it feel necessary. I know that these alterations will not only help me focus better, they will lighten my mood and enhance my day in every way possible. Tune in tomorrow to see the results, but until then a little food for thought...
 via Bloomerism
 via Elle Decor
via The Design Fairy
via Room Envy
via Linen and Verbena

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Magnificent beat ! I wish to apprentice even as you amend your site, how can i subscribe for a weblog
site? The account helped me a applicable deal.
I had been a little bit familiar of this your broadcast offered shiny clear idea

Here is my weblog :: barcode scanner rentals