Saturday, May 7, 2011

"LET'S TAKE THIS POTTED PLANT TO THE WOODS AND SET IT FREE..."

Last week Matthew surprised me with a text message photo of this beauty...
Photobucket
While I love flowers, there is something about ground covering that I love even more. Since we moved into our home last year in October, it was too late in the year to do any planting or painting so we decided to just start decorating from the inside out. We went from living in a 750 sq. foot apartment for two years while we were saving and suddenly we moved into a home with three bedrooms and a backyard. I've never cared about having a big backyard (I'm more about character than space) so when we found this home I didn't care at all that the yard was on the small side. As of now, we have no trees and nothing from the flower, fruit or vegetable family. The plan in to invest in one big tree for shade, some beautiful ground covering and select vines and flowers. Matthew will also be building a planter bed so that I can finally plant the strawberries I've always wanted as well as some tomatoes, parsley, cilantro and green onions. We are new to the whole gardening thing and while I'd like to say that I have a green thumb, I have yet to discover whether I really do or not. This little mossy plant above has inspired me to get out in the garden and start working.
Photobucket
Since we have a blank canvas to work with, I feel like we have a lot of freedom to go in any direction. It's a small area, so I'd like to create an ambience and environment that's very inviting and comfortable. I've always been obsessed with small string lights in backyards and think I'll finally splurge on some for our yard.
Photobucket Photobucket
They are very romantic and set the perfect mood for an evening barbeque and endless conversation. I like these two options from Target, I just have to choose one of them and calculate how much we'll need. My main objective is to NOT make it look like an outdoor wedding.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

I like the glob string lamps. Makes me feel like I'm in Italy. Good point about not making it feel too outdoor wedding, ha!

Love the moss plant too, so cute!

mrspatriciaheath said...

Thanks Natalie, I think I'm going to go with the second string of lights, they look less "wedding-ish." I want to get a cute little office plant too! Can't wait to hear all about your vacation...you better post photos asap.